Its many highlights include:
- the eminent biblical scholar John Barton on how to understand the Old Testament prophecies of the nativity;
- Barbara Brown Taylor on the prologue of John's Gospel which is always read on Christmas Day;
- Margaret Barker on the legends that have become part of the Christmas story;
- an unpublished short story by Evelyn Underhill;
- a piece on the origins of the Nine Lessons and Carols;
- poetry and reflections on the season's lectionary readings, and more besides.
In keeping with the Christ Child's birth in a borrowed stable, all royalties from this book will go to St Martin in the Fields' work with homeless refugees.